Election day remindersBy SPECIAL TO THE SUN-SENTINEL,
Today (Tuesday, Aug. 6) is Primary Election Day in Mississippi. Polls opened at 7 a.m. and will close at 7 p.m.
Mississippians will have the opportunity to cast their ballot for statewide, state district, legislative, county and county district offices.
The Mississippi secretary of state's office offers the following information to ensure your experience at the polls is as smooth as possible are as follows:
• Polling place hours: Polling places are open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. You are permitted to cast a ballot if you are standing in line at 7 p.m.
• Polling place locations: A polling place locator is available on the Secretary of State's website at http://www.sos.ms.gov/PollingPlace/Pages/default.aspx.
• Campaigning: Refrain from campaigning for any candidate or party within 150 feet of a polling place, unless you are on private property.
• Loitering: Refrain from loitering within 30 feet of a polling place, including within the polling place. After you cast your ballot, please depart so your fellow citizens can quickly cast their ballot.
• Voter ID: Don’t forget to bring your photo ID to the polls! For more information on acceptable forms of ID, visit www.MSVoterID.ms.gov.
• Election Hotline: If you experience problems at the polls, or have any other questions, call the secretary of state’s Election Hotline at 1-800-829-6786.
Remember, primary elections are conducted by political parties in Mississippi.