An Indianola man accused of shooting and killing his grandparents and a family friend last Saturday afternoon is being held in the Sunflower County jail on multiple charges.
Alton Williams, 36, is currently being held without bond on three murder charges and a single charge of grand larceny, Indianola Police Chief Ronald Sampson said.
“At this time, he doesn’t have a bond, and they are setting up a preliminary hearing,” Sampson said on Wednesday.
At around 12:45 p.m. on last Saturday, Sampson said dispatchers received multiple calls related to gunfire at a residence on Janet Davis Circle.
When officers arrived in the 200 block of Janet Davis Circle, they discovered the bodies of Sarah Scott, 73, and Vanessa Cassandra Hollins, 65, on the outside of the home. The body of Steve Scott, 76, was later discovered inside the home.
Williams is the grandson of Sarah and Steve Scott.
It appears that Williams had shot and killed his grandfather inside the home, and when his grandmother and her friend drove up to the house, he shot and killed them outside of the home.
Williams is accused of taking the vehicle that Scott and Hollins had been driving.
“He took the vehicle and fled the scene,” Sampson said.
He was later apprehended on Fourth Avenue without incident, Sampson said.
Williams apparently was no stranger to police here.
Back on February 14, Williams apparently entered a property on B.B. King Road near Gentry High School, according to a police incident report at the time.
When police arrived, they discovered a concealed handgun and about 70 rounds of bullets, the report said.
“When the officers arrived on the scene, they found a weapon tucked inside of his pants,” Sampson said. “They made the arrest.”
Sampson said that Williams was processed at the police department that day, and he was later released into the custody of his grandmother, who had told officers that Williams suffered from a mental illness.
“Because of his condition, they made the decision to release him to his grandmother,” Sampson said.
Sampson said Williams eventually went to court and pled guilty on the concealed weapons charge. The Enterprise-Tocsin requested court documents to verify that, but we had not received those by press time.
Sampson said the homeowner who initially called the police on Feb. 14 did not press charges.
Sampson said the weapon and ammunition that was taken from Williams during the February incident were not returned to him. He apparently used a different weapon in Saturday’s tragic homicides.
“It was definitely a different weapon,” Sampson said. Sampson said the weapon used on Saturday is still being processed to find out who owned it.
Although police were told last month that Williams suffered from a mental illness, Sampson said that there are no records of a court order barring Williams from owning or possessing a weapon.
He had no prior felony charges either that would have precluded him from buying a gun.
“This was an unforeseen situation and it dealt with a mental condition that he had,” Sampson said, adding that the February incident and what transpired last Saturday were not related to one another. “Even if he suffers from a mental condition, unless the court adjudicates him, we can’t stop him from going and buying another weapon.”
The Williams family, through a family member, released a public statement this past Sunday night.
“There are no words to express the heartbreak and loss we feel from the tragic deaths of Steve, Sarah and Vanessa. They were our father, mother, grandparents, uncle, aunts, cousins and dear friend. They were beloved for their dedication to us and this community. We’ve all seen the devastation that mental health-related tragedies have brought to so many families across the country, and now it’s at our front door. Despite our efforts and love, the unforeseen has taken place. We ask for your prayers and for privacy as we work through this with the Lord. The Williams family.”