The Charleston Mayor's Charity Ball has been postponed while local residents continue to pick up the pieces from damage caused by the recent ice storm, Mayor Sedrick Smith Sr. told The Sun-Sentinel on Thursday.
The mayor said many citizens have more important personal matters to tend to around their properties and that their attention and resources are rightly directed there.
The organizing committee hopes to conduct the event much later in the year, Smith noted.
This was to be the 10th Charleston Mayor's Charity Ball, a black-tie affair benefiting the American Cancer Society.
The event, usually held in late March at Alford's Gym on the campus of Charleston Middle School, features a buffet-style meal and a formal program of speakers and special presentations, followed by an evening of live music and dance.
Last year, individual tickets to the gala sold for $45.
The Mayor’s Charity Ball Committee donates a portion of the proceeds from the event to the local chapter of the ACS, which uses contributions to help cancer patients in Tallahatchie County with support including general monetary gifts, the gifting of hair pieces, transportation to medical facilities and more.
The Charity Ball was launched in 2014 and was held for six consecutive years. Due to the pandemic, the event was canceled in 2020, 2021 and 2022, but resumed in 2023.